Pool season is finally here and what better way to open the swimming festivities than by throwing the ultimate pool party. You’ll need to make sure you have all your bases covered so here are a few helpful hints:
- Choose a theme. Plan your décor, food and drink around your theme with bright colors and fresh flowers to keep things vibrant and make a big splash! Stringed lights are not only pretty but keep the party going well into the night.
- Gather an arsenal of summer recipes and entertaining non-alcoholic drinks. Try adding frozen fruit as ice cubes for an unexpected and fun burst of fruit flavor.
- Layout your delicious feast in your shady outdoor kitchen and stock your outdoor fridge with extra drinks and finger food.
- To create additional shady places for cooling off – consider hanging a sheet or some funky patterned material from tree to tree for a hip homemade canopy. Throw down an outdoor rug and large pillows for an ambience of a distant land. Get as creative as you like.
- Remind everyone about safety rules and make sure that there is always an adult to supervise the swim area. SAFETY FIRST! And don’t forget to keep the first aid kit close by.
- Gather together the essentials; lots of ice, sunscreen, bug spray and towels. (For a more natural alternative place basil plants around your lounge area that will not only repel bugs but add a lovely fresh aroma.)
- Keep a list of games that can be played both in and out of the pool for smiles all around; both young and old.
- Don’t forget the extra towels! And keep some carry away bags handy to store those wet bathing suits.
- Set the mood with the ultimate music playlist. Perhaps set it to feisty and lively for the first part and slowly transition to more subdued music as things wind down later into the night. You’ll not only keep your neighbours happy but create a mellow mood that keeps the conversation going. Better yet invite the neighbours.
- Light up the fire pit to keep you warm longer as the night cools down; the perfect place to roast some marshmallows for tasty s’mores or just enjoy great conversation and a glass of wine.
- And most importantly, HAVE FUN!
A memorable summer is in your forecast!